Install Add Ons
Outdoor video camera
Step 1 - Getting started
- Make sure you have access to your WPS capable modem and a power point
- If you are getting your outdoor video camera hardwired to mains power, we recommend you get it set up with your Morepork using the supplied power adaptor first, to ensure everything runs smoothly.
- Visit morepork.nz/portal on your computer or tablet and login using the details you set up at purchase.
- We recommend you use an up to date browser, ideally Firefox, Safari or Chrome.
Step 2 - Connect to WiFi
- Connect your outdoor video camera to the power adaptor, and plug it into the wall near you WiFi modem.
Note - If you want to hardwire your outdoor camera into mains power, you can do this later - best to get it set up with the power adaptor first.
- Turn the wall switch on, and wait for the LED on the back of the camera to turn solid red or flashing white - This may take a minute or two.
- Enable WPS on your modem - this differs depending on your modem. Typically, it may involve pressing or holding down the WPS button for a few seconds. If this doesn’t work, refer to your modem instructions for how WPS works. These can often be found online if you don’t have them.
- Press and hold the WPS button on the back of the video camera for about 3 seconds, until the LED starts flashing blue, then release the button. Your video camera will now start pairing to your modem. The LED will cycle through solid red and flashing green while it’s setting up. This can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient. Once the LED is solid green, your camera has successfully connected to your modem
- Login morepork.nz/portal and click the ‘Video’ tab
- Click ‘Settings’ then scroll down to click ‘Add Video Device’
Note - if this is your first video camera, you can simple click ‘Add camera to this account’ from any screen on the video tab.
- Your video camera should display with an ‘Install’ button. If not, click ‘Refresh’ or try entering the 12 digit MAC address from the back of your camera.
- You can name your camera here too. Then click ‘Install’. The status bar will show you the progress. Wait a few minutes for your camera to pair to your Morepork.
- When your camera has finished setting up, click ‘Live View’ to see a live stream.
Your video camera is now connected to your Morepork. If you wish to hardwire it, we recommend you get a professional to do this.
The outdoor video camera can stream live HD footage to your smartphone, tablet or computer from the Morepork app and web portal, so you can check in on what’s happening at home. If a sensor is triggered when your Morepork is armed, your video camera will save a clip around a minute long, beginning before the trigger event.
The outdoor video camera is infrared so it works at night as well as during the day, and has a viewing range of 12 metres in the dark. The camera and cabling are rated for outdoor use with an IP66 rating (meaning it is dust tight and protected against powerful jets of water), but the power adapter is rated for indoor use only. We recommend professional electrician installation for outdoor use.
Where to place
- Choose a place with good WiFi strength.
- The outdoor video camera will not trigger your alarm, so it’s perfect for an area that has movement, such as facing a driveway.
- Try to keep your components pointed toward your premises and your things that you are trying to monitor, be respectful about the privacy of your neighbours and others around you. Please refer to our etiquette guide for more advice.
- Camera and cabling suitable for outdoor use, power adaptor is rated for indoor use only.
- To move your video camera, just unplug and reposition it, then plug it back in and wait for the solid green light. You can experiment and move it as often as you like.
- If your outdoor video camera is hardwired, we recommend a professional electrician move it for you.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Professional installation by an electrician is recommended for outdoor use.
Having trouble installing your Morepork outdoor video camera?
- If you can’t get the flashing blue light to show, make sure you enabled WPS on your modem. This differs for each modem, so if you’re unsure how to do this, refer to your modem instructions. These can often be found online if you don’t have them.
- If your video camera won’t display in the portal, make sure the light on the back of the camera is solid green, then enter the 12 digit MAC address from the back of the video camera.
- Make sure you waited for the light to turn from red, to flashing green, to solid green.
- If you're still having issues, try resetting your outdoor camera and start again. To do this, hold down the WPS button on the back of your camera for about 10 seconds, until the LED flashes green and red, then release it. After a minute or two, disconnect the camera from power, leave it off for another minute and reconnect it. Then repeat the installation steps.